Time Warner Cable is now testing faster speed, unlimited VoIP and HD video in Charlotte, NC. This brings with it higher prices.
Here's what this means:
1. Docsis 3.0 is here. All the major cable MSOs are starting to roll it out.
2. Watch for more cable cutting by people who watch what they want to watch using Hulu, iTunes and Netflix
3. The era of the cable bundle is just beginning. Watch for more diverse offerings including more "services" like hosting, back up, security, etc.
4. Business cable services will be on the rise.
5. Relationships with cable companies will matter. Having an MSA with a cable company will mean access and the ability to sell in new services. This is great for Momentum Telecom and IBBS (recent acquirer of SinglePipe)
For AT&T and Qwest, it spells problems as the cable guys are moving in a much more complete solution offering, while only Verizon seems to be thinking like a cable company with FIOS where it's offered.