Skype wants to own the trademark, "the whole world can talk for free."
With the price of telephony dropping to zero one has to wonder how about the implications like Russell Shaw ponders on in his post today.
Now, Skype does have things going for them.
1. They have been using the line
2. They do enable free calling
3. They have been offering free PSTN termination calling
But I think someone in the PTO may take exception to this, and here's why:
1. No purchase required? Sorry Skype fails this test. You need to have some kind of PC, an Internet connection and those need to be paid for.
2. The future is not known. If tarrif's change the game changes. And then the claim becomes invalid.
But, as a tagline in its form, it works for Skype.