Om's post about the best gadgets of the year got me thinking about how similar we both are and for the most part we agree, 3 out of 4. I don't use SONUS but I do have Apple TV, and the three other gadgets he mentions.
So here are my top services of the year:
2. Boingo-i connect more easily in more places. I actually have begun to wonder why I still have a T-Mobile Hotspot Account but there remains some hotels where they are still only T-Mobile that I stay.
4. Facebook-I have reconnected with more friends who I had lost touch with each year. It's the SOCIAL Network that actually has business benefits.
5. Linked In-It is how to find and manage business relationships. Nothing else comes close.
6. Google Voice-I can forward numbers anywhere with it (and even Internationally with some tricks)
7. Skype-sure it's got the risks of being free, but the size of the "community" and how good the video is now...it has become an essential, especially with the FreeTalk Everyman Hands Free head set on my iPod touch or iPad.
8. TripIt-I travel 200+ days a year. I rely on this to know where I am, what I'm traveling on, where I'm staying, when I'm eating, etc. I also share the data with my trusted circle.
9. FlightStats and associated apps/services-with weather delays, flight delays a part of life, this helps know your options.
What's amazing here is that most of these are SaaS (software as a service) or CaaS, communications as a service. Sure there's a client for some to access the data but for the most part they are all web apps, and I predict that in 2011 we'll see Skype as a browser app not only a desktop app. That supports the iPad, Mac Book Air and even the Android devices, though my feeling is Android is like VW and Apple is like BMW or Porsche in the way they are made. Both provide reliable transportation, but the latter give you style, performance and turns heads. So do most of these apps and most of all, they make my life easier.