Over the next few years I think we'll begin to see the following:
1. Brand erosion in VoIP-Less brands selling to business, consumers
2. Greater consolidation-It's already started with Smoothstone and M5 getting purchased
4. Voice, Video and Collaboration all blur-You won't be able keep a customer long if you don't have all of these, along with an SMS/Presence component.
5. Quality-HD audio, video becomes standard-who wants to suffer through sucky sound, bad video.
6. Communication won't stay balkanized and Interoperability is someone elses problem-SBCs, "any to any" and transcoding on the fly has to happen. We can't be disconnected. A person using Skype wants to see and talk to someone using GTalk or Tango.
7. The tabley is your communications hub-forget the phone and PC-faster processors, sharper lenses, better audio and vido devices, Airplay and others like it make connecting easier, sound and look better.
8. HTML5 changes how we look at the browser in real time communications.
Got any other ideas?